The pandemic has caused many cancellations and changes in Region 21 and the American Iris Society:
- The Region 21 Fall Meeting has been cancelled. Thank you to everyone in the Sioux Empire Iris Society who has been working to prepare for this meeting.
- Region 21 Fall Board Meeting – Plans are being made to meet via video conferencing this fall.
- The Region 21 newsletter has been temporarily suspended. Updates for Region 21 will be posted to the Region 21 website.
- All Region 21 clubs have cancelled their iris shows. Anyone wishing to can send pictures of their garden for inclusion in a Region 21 virtual garden tour to be posted on our website.
- Because judges training opportunities are extremely limited, judges needing hours in 2020 have had their eligibility extended for one year. Those that have satisfied requirements will be advanced. Judges will receive credit for any judges training already completed.
- Kelly Norris has stepped down as Region 21 Judges Training Chair. Until a new chair is named, all records and questions should be sent to me.
- The AIS 2020 Convention, three mini-conventions, and all Regional Spring Meetings have been cancelled.
- The Garden Awards voting for 2020 has also been cancelled due to limited opportunities to view the eligible irises in gardens.
Other AIS changes will be posted, as they occur, on the Cancellations page, the AIS website News & Events page, and in the AIS electronic newsletter, News & Notes.
Check the Region 21 website for ongoing announcements and updates.
AIS Region 21 RVP
UPDATE -In an abundance of caution and at the advice of our public health officials we will be cancelling the March meeting scheduled for tomorrow March 14th due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We will post updates to other scheduled activities on our website and Facebook pages as information becomes available. You may reach out to an officer by phone or email if you have questions or concerns.
MARCH 2020 MEETING – Our next meeting will be Saturday, March 14, 2020 11a.m. at our normal meeting location, in a meeting room, just to the left when you enter the library at 28th & Q.
We will begin with a Potluck lunch, followed by our own past National American Iris Society President Gary White talking on Iris of New Zealand.
Learn more about the Greater Omaha Iris Society and irises on our website.
Time is fast approaching for the Region 21 Fall meeting. The Fall meeting, educational sessions, keynote speaker, and auction will be held in Omaha and all events will take place August 16th – 17th at the conference hotel, the Hampton Inn, Omaha AkSarBen Area.
The featured keynote speaker for this year’s event will be renowned hybridizer Paul Black. Educational sessions will be eligible for three hours of judges training c.e. credit for those in need of additional credit hours. Additionally the Regional Rhizome auction will be held on Saturday, August 17th.
A block of rooms has been reserved for attendees at the conference hotel for $114/night. This block of rooms will be held until August 1st after which room pricing will revert to the prevailing rate. Details and a registration form can be found here.
Questions may be addressed to meeting coordinators Linda Wilkie (402-493-3808 or firstname.lastname@example.org) and Gary White (402-890-3689 or email@example.com).
Update 8/12/19: The final schedule is available here.
Other Regions of The American Iris Society also have fall meetings that members of Region 21 can attend. This is another way to learn more about irises, obtain more judges training, and meet other irisarians. Region 18 (Kansas and Missouri) is particularly convenient for many members of Region 21 to visit.
This year the Region 18 Fall Meeting is in St. Joseph, Missouri at the Remington Nature Center on October 5th and 6th. Bonnie Nichols, president of the Novelty Iris Society, is the speaker. She is also presenting 2 hours of judges training on Novelty Iris. More details on the schedule are here and the registration form (PDF) is available.
You can find details on all the 2018 Regional Fall Meetings in this table. Hope to see you at some of them!
Another great chance to see old friends and meet new ones. This year we are meeting in Ames, Iowa Friday evening and Saturday, August 10-11. Mike Lockatell is our featured speaker and judges training presenter with Cool Season Reblooming Irises. The registration form (PDF) has the details.
After the meeting, you will be able to explore the Reiman Gardens grounds and butterfly wing. The current exhibition is the 13 kinetic sculptures “Wind, Waves, & Light Sculpture Exhibit” by George Sherwood.
Hope to see you there!
This year Region 21 has three iris shows and a Regional Spring Meeting for your enjoyment. The shows are
May 19 Lincoln, Nebraska
May 26 Sioux City, Iowa – Siouxland Iris Society
June 2-3 Scottsbluff, Nebraska – details.
And in connection with the Lincoln show is our Spring Meeting. An iris show, several judges training sessions, and visits to iris gardens. See the full details in this invitation: 2018Region21SpringMeeting
Update May 15 – I missed one show. The Can-West Iris Society 2018 Iris Show is June 3rd in Winnipeg, Manitoba. See more in this Region 21 post.
‘Metro Blue’ by Lockatell blooming October 10, 2016 in the Messer Garden
The Region 21 Fall Meeting this year again has a great lineup. We are meeting August 10-11, 2018 in Ames, Iowa. “One Blooming Iris After Another” has Mike Lockatell as our featured speaker with Cool Season Reblooming Irises. The registration form (PDF) has more details. Hope to see you there!