Pleas join us for the Region 21 Fall Meeting Saturday, August 13, 2022 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Our speaker will be Hooker Nichols presenting Judges Training on Tall Bearded and Louisiana Irises. More details and invitations will be coming soon.
Reminder – This year’s Region 21 Fall Meeting is virtual! Please join us Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. Central Time (9:00 a.m. Mountain Time) on Zoom for Judges Training by Bonnie Nichols on Novelty Irises. Bonnie is the AIS Judges Chair as well as president of the Novelty Iris Society. Note: This is a new Judges Training available for credit even if you have already participated in the JT Bonnie presented as two AIS Webinars last year.
Registration (free!) is required. Please send your name and email to Wayne Messer firstname.lastname@example.org so we can get a count and send you the details for attending.
There will also be a Region 21 Board meeting at 9:00 a.m. Central Time (8:00 a.m. Mountain Time) and a Region 21 Business meeting following Bonnie’s presentation. Everyone is invited to attend and participate in both meetings. This year the business meeting includes the election of a first-year director. Please consider volunteering for this position.
The pandemic has caused many cancellations and changes in Region 21 and the American Iris Society:
- The Region 21 Fall Meeting has been cancelled. Thank you to everyone in the Sioux Empire Iris Society who has been working to prepare for this meeting.
- Region 21 Fall Board Meeting – Plans are being made to meet via video conferencing this fall.
- The Region 21 newsletter has been temporarily suspended. Updates for Region 21 will be posted to the Region 21 website.
- All Region 21 clubs have cancelled their iris shows. Anyone wishing to can send pictures of their garden for inclusion in a Region 21 virtual garden tour to be posted on our website.
- Because judges training opportunities are extremely limited, judges needing hours in 2020 have had their eligibility extended for one year. Those that have satisfied requirements will be advanced. Judges will receive credit for any judges training already completed.
- Kelly Norris has stepped down as Region 21 Judges Training Chair. Until a new chair is named, all records and questions should be sent to me.
- The AIS 2020 Convention, three mini-conventions, and all Regional Spring Meetings have been cancelled.
- The Garden Awards voting for 2020 has also been cancelled due to limited opportunities to view the eligible irises in gardens.
Check the Region 21 website for ongoing announcements and updates.
AIS Region 21 RVP
Other Regions of The American Iris Society also have fall meetings that members of Region 21 can attend. This is another way to learn more about irises, obtain more judges training, and meet other irisarians. Region 18 (Kansas and Missouri) is particularly convenient for many members of Region 21 to visit.
This year the Region 18 Fall Meeting is in St. Joseph, Missouri at the Remington Nature Center on October 5th and 6th. Bonnie Nichols, president of the Novelty Iris Society, is the speaker. She is also presenting 2 hours of judges training on Novelty Iris. More details on the schedule are here and the registration form (PDF) is available.
You can find details on all the 2018 Regional Fall Meetings in this table. Hope to see you at some of them!
The Can-West Iris Society is having their 2018 iris show June 3, 2018 in Winnipeg in the Bourkevale Community Center. Details can be found in the Can-West Spring 2018 newsletter. The show schedule is also available on their website.
Preceding the show is judges training on Saturday, June 2nd. Sandy Ives will give a session on Siberian irises and Maureen Mark will be doing garden training. Again, see the newsletter for details.
My apologies for not getting this in our previous listing of Region 21 iris shows. I was aware of the show and B. J. Jackson, the show chair, had sent me the information. I totally blanked.
This year Region 21 has three iris shows and a Regional Spring Meeting for your enjoyment. The shows are
And in connection with the Lincoln show is our Spring Meeting. An iris show, several judges training sessions, and visits to iris gardens. See the full details in this invitation: 2018Region21SpringMeeting
Update May 15 – I missed one show. The Can-West Iris Society 2018 Iris Show is June 3rd in Winnipeg, Manitoba. See more in this Region 21 post.
Kris Jurik will be speaking to the Central Iowa Daylily Society April 14th. Her talk is ‘So you want to see my irises- which ones, and when?’ Kris and Tom Jurik have an incredible garden! You may remember it as a host garden during the American Iris Society 2017 Convention.
The meeting is in the Fisher Community Center, Room A, Marshalltown from 1:30 pm to 5:00 pm. The complete 2018 calendar for the Central Iowa Daylily Society can be found here.
The Lincoln Iris Society held their annual iris show May 13th, 2017. The results are in their June 2017 Rainbow Messenger which we have just added to the Region 21 Newsletters Page. Here is a direct link to the June 2017 issue where you can find the show report beginning on page 4.
Congratulations to the Lincoln Iris Society and the Show Committee on their show and their record number of entries! Thank you and congratulations to all the entrants!